Our Mission & Vision
In 1956 our founder, William E. Walker, never sought to own control of any station. Instead, associate with ”capable ambitious people who have been encouraged to acquire a stock interest, so we are always working together for a station’s welfare, knowing that a station serves it’s community well, it is bound to profit accordingly.” The whole of Mid-West Family is greater than the sum of its parts. We are focused on fostering relationships with our communities, our listeners, and our advertisers. In addition, we will grow people in each market with an eye toward potential market expansion in the future.
Mid-West Family Springfield IL is looking for an energetic, community influencing, content creating, multimedia, co-working collaborator to lead our pop brand, 98.7 WNNS. And depending on experience,
there is an opportunity to lead and develop other brands.
How many buzzwords can we get into that sentence? Well, we are just trying to find a way to pass the HR leader’s “sound smart” test with this job description. We really need someone who loves creating media that affects a local community.
And isn’t Mid-West Family just a series of radio stations? Not anymore! We are a group of individualized brands whose audiences are lifestyle-focused as well as community-minded. We are focused on being 100% local and impactful in the ways we serve our community with locally sourced and created media.
Your job will be to help lead WNNS into the future, develop content and promotion strategies that engage our tribes and benefit our advertisers. You will help the content team tell the stories important through words, images, audio, video AND be distribution agnostic – the content you create can come out of the speakers of the FM transmitter, be video on YouTube, or written words on the station’s website.
You will share your creations across a multitude of platforms which include social media, mobile apps, smart speakers, email, and some other platforms that come along.
If you are passionate about local events and have a real “sense of place” for your community, enjoy connecting with our audiences beyond just using your voice, and want to use your creativity to bridge our brands with our advertisers & needs, you need to show us what you have!
- 5 Years full-time radio experience
- Track record of quantifiable success
- Computer literacy in applicable programs and excellent verbal communication skills
- Public speaking skill and ability to interact with listeners and clients in a public setting
- Problem-solving ability and skill in prioritizing
- Ability to interact with management and staff at all levels and to multi-task and handle pressures and deadlines
- Demonstrated Writing Skills (Please Share!)
- Proficiency in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube)
- Skill in Image/Video Creation with iPhone and professional video gear.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Premiere Pro) & Microsoft Office, Google Workspace
- Website Design / CMS Editing / Experience w/ WordPress Platforms
Please send a resume, samples, and anything else to impress to:
Mark Van Allen
Mid-West Family is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Mid-West Family in Springfield Illinois has multiple openings for a Multimedia Journalist/Reporter for 92.7 WMAY Springfield’s News and Talk.
This is your chance to be part of a growing team in Illinois’ Capital City. At WMAY, we strive to elevate community voices and reflect the perspectives of our community. If you are passionate about sharing local news, know how to enterprise, can connect with the community, are able to create compelling content, we want to talk with you.
- News Making. Use your sharp, journalistic instincts to create fast/casual content for internal
and external social channels developed and distributed at the speed of news. Drive executive
thought leadership and engagement with timely, personalized content.
- Content Planning. Develop a network of internal and external contacts, evaluate leads, pitch
stories, and align on content angles and assignments. Research topics and arrange interviews. Determine a story’s emphasis, format, and distribution plan.
- Content Creation. Bring stories to life through end-to-end production of written, audio and
video content. Through virtual meetings and live events, interview subjects and capture content. Ensure content meets company standards.
- Digital Engagement. Develop content with digital first point of view to maximize reach and
engagement. Publish content to owned social channels. Monitor engagement, analyzes results and continually optimize performance.
- College degree in Journalism or related field and/or experience in news reporting via TV, radio, or digital channels.
- Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Video creation and editing skills.
- Superior on-air presence, experience with live shots, and ability to ad lib as needed.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and manage multiple projects.
- Works well with others and independently, welcomes constructive feedback to refine content,
develop professionally, and enhance performance.
Please send a resume, samples, and anything else to impress to:
Mark Van Allen
Mid-West Family is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are
encouraged to apply.
Mid-West Family Springfield, Illinois is seeking a talented and dynamic Account Executive / Account Manager who thrives in a fast-paced working environment. We are looking for a passionate, self-motivated, goal-oriented and highly competitive individual with a proven track record of over-achieving sales goals. We hire driven, resourceful, organized, customer-focused problem solvers who have great communication skills and the ability to cultivate client relationships and lasting partnerships. In return, we offer a unique career opportunity: one where you are given a challenging mission, world-class tools, on-going training to help you succeed, and the chance to realize your full potential as a marketing and advertising sales professional.
Who We Are:
Mid-West Family is an employee-owned media group. We provide our clients with the best in class over-the-air broadcasting and digital marketing solutions. These digital assets include, but are not limited to: Advanced Targeted Display, Targeted Email Marketing, SEO, SEM/PPC, Online Audio, Online Video, Social Media, Web Design, Online Station Promotions and more. Mid-West Family operates FOUR of the Springfield area’s most popular radio stations: 98.7FM-WNNS, 97.7FM-WQLZ, 970AM-WMAY (The Lake 102.5FM + 94.7FM), and 92.7FM-WMAY. Our Springfield group of commercial radio stations entertain and reach tens of thousands of listeners every week over-the-air and online via streaming smart speaker and through the Audacy App.
As an Account Executive, you will identify and develop new business opportunities, grow existing client relationships, create and offer marketing and advertising solutions to help clients achieve their business goals and close business to meet or exceed set sales quotas.
- Identify client business needs by gaining respect and a deep understanding of their goals, objectives, and processes as well as understand their external environment including key market and consumer trends to proactively develop customized advertising solutions to meet their specific company objectives and needs
- Deliver effective multi-platform, omni-channel, integrated sales presentations (broadcast, digital, events, negotiation, and closing)
- Have a strong familiarity and become fully versed in selling both broadcast and online radio, our full array of digital assets and capabilities as noted earlier as well as our promotions and events to deliver complete 360 degree marketing solution to our partnering advertisers
- Excel at prospecting and aggressively seeking new clientele by networking, cold calling, canvassing, referrals or other means to build and maintain a full pipeline of sales prospects
- Follow all station procedures for preparing orders, resolving billing issues, submitting regular reports regarding sales, pipeline lists, forecasts, and competitive analysis
- Stay abreast of the competitive landscape and emerging technologies to best position Mid-West Family in the Springfield marketplace and beyond
- Think creatively, be proactive, and a generate original ideas
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude with the willingness to get beyond your comfort zone to grow personally and professionally
- High energy and passion for this job
- Flexible and creative
- Digitally savvy
- Ability to develop new business relationships in an outside sales role
- Excellent presenter to clients of sales opportunities and post-sale successes
- Strong understanding of lead generation and the ability to connect with viable prospects
- Comprehension of sales metrics in order to fill a sales funnel and build a robust pipeline of residual business
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Google Workspace and social networking platforms
- Media Sales background preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or related field is preferred
What We Offer:
- Base Salary with monthly/annual bonuses with uncapped earning potential
- A focused, responsible and collaborative work environment with the ability to ask “What if?” and try innovative marketing solutions
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage
- 401K with company match to plan for the long-term
- Paid Vacation & Holidays
Interested? Next Steps: Email Rob Zavitka, Director of Business Development firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid-West Family Springfield IL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Real Rock 97.7 QLZ in Springfield, Illinois is hiring its next on-air and behind the scenes talent. We’re looking for someone who will be an ambassador for our brands, an influencer for our advertisers, passionate about a cause, and open to learn and improve.
On-Air. Podcast hosting. Video hosting. Event hosting. Problem-solving. Music scheduling. Working with record labels. Writing content for on-air, online, or print. Imaging and audio production. Social media content. Digital analytics. Graphic design. Video filming. Video production. Event planning logistics.
No, you don’t need to be an expert in all of that! But we’ve got some flexibility to build this position around the right candidate, so show us what you’ve got! Where do your strengths lie? What parts of working in media are you most passionate about? Tell us how you can help create positive interactions and memories for our audience on-air, online, and in-person.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Local: This is not a remote position! We are looking for someone who will relocate to the Springfield, IL area if necessary.
- Media Experience: Broadcast experience preferred, but anyone experienced in other media, digital, public speaking, and influencer skills are welcome to apply.
- Rock Music Fan: Knowledgeable about the songs and artists on WQLZ. Our audience relies on you to be the “expert.”
- Digital / Social Media Skills: Able to write clearly and concisely for web and social media.
- Audio/Graphic/Video Production Skills: Let us know your skill level with audio editing, graphic design, and video production. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred (Audition, Photoshop, Premiere Plus, Illustrator, etc.), but not required.
- Eager to Grow: Willing to hear constructive input, learn new skills, and make improvements.
- Culture Fit: Work well within the culture at Mid-West Family Springfield, as well as collaborating with advertisers, promotional partners, community leaders, and our audience.
Is that you? Email your resume, cover letter, and links to your demo audio or other content to Ryan “Elwood” Bjorn, Operations Manager, Mid-West Family Springfield, IL - email@example.com
This position is full-time and is eligible for all benefits of a full-time position within Mid-West Family in Springfield, including health/dental/vision care, 401(k), three weeks of paid vacation, and other benefits such as stock ownership units when invited to purchase.
Mid-West Family is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All genders and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.